Do you provide documentation for me to have an Emotional Support Animal?

We do not provide documentation that will support obtaining or prescribing an Emotional Support Animal. While an animal may be able to provide comfort to you, it is not within our training or scope of practice to provide the documentation supporting the presence of a disability that substantially limits an area of major functioning to an extent that requires the presence of an animal. You may request a summary of treatment in lieu of a prescriptive letter, although this may not be sufficient.

What Kind of Animal Do I Have?

Do I need an appointment to see a counselor?

Yes, for all scheduling needs please call our office at 252-328-6661.

If you are in high distress or in need of urgent support, please call our office at 252-328-6661 for a brief crisis screening or call us if it is after-hours and follow the phone prompts.

What is the cost of your services?

CCSD services are available at no additional cost to enrolled students who have paid the student health service fee.

What if I experience a crisis when you’re not open?

You can access an on-call counselor by contacting our office at 252-328-6661 and following the phone prompts. If you are away from the Greenville area, please call 911.

What if I am a Distance Education student or graduate student – can I receive counseling?

Yes, as long as you are an enrolled ECU student you may receive counseling in our office. If you are unable to travel to our office, we can provide you case management services to assist in finding resources in your area.

Is it true that you will not treat some students?

We will provide an initial appointment and crisis services to any enrolled ECU student. From there, based on your individual circumstances or needs, a referral to another on- or off-campus option may be discussed in order to best care for you.

What if I need a medical or psychological withdrawal?

Please contact the Dean of Students office for more information regarding withdrawals.

Do you have counselors who can work with people from varying backgrounds and cultures?

Absolutely, our staff is culturally competent and open to working with any student in need of assistance.

Is there a limit to how long I can receive counseling at CCSD?

Being a short-term facility, you will receive no more than 12 sessions in an academic year, with most benefiting from 4 – 8 sessions. Should your needs exceed this amount, your counselor will talk with you about additional options.

Do you have students who work at CCSD?

Yes, we have graduate-level counselors-in-training who provide therapy under the supervision of senior staff counselors.

Do you prescribe medication?

No, but you can contact Student Health Services to schedule psychiatry appointments and access medication management.

What if I need to request my record?

If you need our office to release confidential records, a special form called the Authorization for the Release of Information (ROI) must be completed. Whether your doctor has requested your records from us or you’re planning to meet with a new doctor or counselor, you can complete this form which will allow us to release the requested information to the provider of your choice. If you wish to receive copies of your own record, a meeting will be arranged for you and one of our staff counselors to review your record with you to ensure proper understanding and discuss any questions you may have. Confidentiality is a top priority when it comes to your private clinical records.

The record system currently used by the ECU Center for Counseling and Student Development does not have the capability of providing open access records under the 21st Century Cures Act. As technologies become more readily available and accessible to University Counseling Centers that are not integrated with medical services, feasibility of open access records will be re-assessed and implemented when we can assure that proper security measures are in place to protect your privacy. For more information about the 21st Century Cures Act, visit https://www.healthit.gov/topic/oncs-cures-act-final-rule.

Have a question that you don’t see addressed? Please call us at 252-328-6661!